This week, the two of us plus Throwback’s #1 fan, Yash, were invited to videotape one of our workouts for Booya Fitness. Now when you read ‘fitness video’ you may think of Jane Fonda or 80s aerobic routines like this…
Well, Booya Fitness is trying to change that. Booya has been described as the Hulu of fitness videos and was created for those who want to experience group fitness from their own home. It was founded by Prita Kumar, who like us, dreaded running on a treadmill and wanted fun and creative workouts that people could do anywhere. It’s a very cool concept and you should check out the site, especially if you travel a lot or are bored with the options at your globo gym.
Throwback’s video will go through some editing and post production, becoming available on Booya in March or April. But in the meantime, here’s our workout (split into 2 parts) that will be featured in the video. We’ll also include variations and make it a team workout in our classes.
Complete 3 rounds of the following without resting in between:
- First 30 seconds: max effort squats
- Second 30 seconds: plank hold
Each round, try to match or beat your score from the first round. If you complete 20 squats the first round, shoot for 21 or more on the second and third rounds.
After 3 minutes of squats/planks, do 3 more rounds with this pairing:
- First 30 seconds: max effort situps
- Second 30 seconds: squat hold
Again, each round trying to match or beat your score from the first.
After that, your final superset is 3 rounds of:
- First 30 seconds: max effort pushups
- Second 30 seconds: v hold
Record your rep counts for each interval and make this a competition with yourself or a buddy. The next time you repeat this workout, aim to beat your previous scores.
Workout 2 – Fitness Craps
During this workout, we drew 8 cards (1 at a time) and had 1 minute to complete the assigned number of reps on each card. Cards were as follows:
- 40 jumping jacks
- 15 burpees
- 80 flutter kicks (single count)
- 40 jumping lunges (single count)
- 100 mountain climbers (single count)
- 20 v-ups
- 25 hand release pushups
- 70 Russian twists (single count)
When done with the 8 rounds, sum up the number of unsuccessfully completed rounds and choose of the following options:
- Option 1 – accept a 3 burpee penalty for each unsuccessfully completed round (ie 12 burpees for 4 unsuccessfully completed rounds)
- Option 2 – roll the dice and the number rolled is the burpee penalty (ie 24 burpees if a player unsuccessfully completes 4 rounds and rolls a 6)
It’s a fun and very challenging workout that can be altered to accommodate all fitness levels. If you want to make Fitness Craps harder, just increase the required rep count. Best of all, there is no equipment needed, except dice!